Fun Activities for Kids in Essex
Struggling to think of fun activities for kids in Essex? Don’t worry, because Barleylands Farm Park and Village has an abundance of exciting yet educational things to see and do.
We pride ourselves as the top educational farming and craft centre attraction in South East England. We offer hands-on experiences for children, enabling them to learn about the many facets of everyday farming and rural life outside the classroom.
In addition to our farm park, The Village is a unique shopping destination featuring studios and workshops. You can shop for personalised gifts, unique handicrafts, or even attend an eye-opening skills workshop.
Fun activities for kids in Essex don’t get much better than Barleylands.
Fun activities for kids in Essex – Things to do at Barleylands
Whatever the weather, Barleylands Farm Park has a great deal to see and do, from feeding lambs and watching birds of prey to exploring our outdoor play area including the huge jumping pillow.
If you’re planning a visit, don’t forget to experience the following:
- Animal activities – From May to September, our colourful ‘woolly jumpers’ compete in the ‘Lamb National’, while our cheeky hilly billy goats take on the steeplechase. You can also see our chickens race to the finish line in the ‘Chicken Run’.
- Outdoor adventures – Our smaller visitors are bound to love a ride around the farm on a mini tractor or didicar. Bigger kids can choose from two playground areas that include monkey bars, a zip wire, go karts, and the jumping pillow.
- Indoor play – At our indoor play barn, there’s high slides, cargo nets, poles, and chicanes to keep kids active and occupied. Toddlers also have their own designated play area, which includes a mini slide and pint-size frame to play safely.
- Imperial Bird of Prey Academy – No matter whether you’re interested in owls, hawks, falcons, or vultures, our knowledgeable team will share their passion about these birds of prey in what promises to be a fun, engaging, and memorable experience.
- Animal Barn – Get close to, and feed, our friendly farm animals come rain or shine. We’ve got inquisitive goats, noisy sheep, and charismatic pigs as well as some more unusual and rare breeds.
- Nocturnal and Exotics House – New for 2020! Get ready to be transported to deep rainforests, sandy deserts, and the darker homes of our nocturnal animals, home to fruits bats, skunk, snakes, turtles, lizards and more coming soon.
- Discovery Barn – Linking the past to the present, our Discovery Barn is home to a wonderful display of vintage machinery such as tractors, farming paraphernalia, and interactive exhibits. This is where Barleylands farm park started back in 1984.
Don’t forget to swing by The Village while you’re here to pick up a souvenir or two from local crafters and tradespeople. There’s plenty of food and drink options on offer too.
What’s more, our beautiful countryside location near Billericay means we are within easy reach of several towns and cities in Essex:
- Basildon – 10 minutes
- Brentwood – 15 minutes
- Chelmsford – 25 minutes
- Southend-on-Sea – 25 minutes
- Romford – 25 minutes